It’s almost here – September 13 & 14, the start of the annual event for small firms in South Carolina: the Solo & Small Firm CLE and Annual Meeting. Yes, we know you’re still squeezing every ounce of laziness out of summer, but it’s time to pack up the beach umbrella and come back to town! I can’t think of a better way to kick-off the fall than attending this popular annual gathering. If you need some convincing, here are my TOP reasons YOU should attend:
- Jim Calloway. He’s not just a popular blogger, ABA author, former TECHSHOW Chair, and famous speaker. He’s also a former small firm lawyer who really GETS what small firm lawyers want to hear about. His keynote on the future of law practice is not to be missed!
- Exhibitors. We’ve hand-selected the choicest tech companies, consultants, insurance providers, and more, specifically for small law firms. At least 20 exhibitors are signed up so far!
- Ethics. Out of 6 total CLE hours, we’re offering TWO hours of ethics credit. Our math is rusty, but we’d say that’s a lot of ethics bang for the buck! It’s not just any ethics credit, either. Everyone wants to know more about fees, trust accounting software, social media and e-discovery.
- Prizes. With so many prizes being offered, we are sure to have lots of winners. But there’s a catch: you need to be present to win!
- Product demos. It’s hard to concentrate on a software demo when your feet hurt and you’re in a hurry. That’s why we have a room set aside for software demos. There’s a different one every 30 minutes. Bring your coffee, have a seat, watch, listen, and ask questions!
- Networking. It’s time to… put a face with that name on the Section listserv… thank someone in person… cement a friendship… in other words, it’s time to network! The Section barbecue the night before (the “Have Shingle – Let’s Mingle”) is a time to have fun while we get to know each other. Then on Friday, we come together again for the Section luncheon at the hotel. One of the best parts? It’s all included in the registration!
- Tips. You’ll stay to the end for this fun session, “Our Favorite Tips for Small Firm Lawyers.” I always say that one great tip can make an entire CLE worthwhile. Just think what 50 tips can do!
- E-Discovery. Many small firms are playing catch-up when it comes to understanding the rules regarding discovery of electronically stored information (ESI). Catch speaker Jeffrey Ritter as he lays out 10 Key Steps to Avoiding E-Discovery Malpractice with Individual Clients.
- iPads. They’re everywhere – just look around! iPad experts Jim Calloway and SC lawyer Karl Folkens give us their real world take on iPads for litigators.
- Value. We’re all searching for a way to stretch our CLE dollars. It’s not likely you will find a CLE anywhere that offers this much for this little money. Special rates are available for non-lawyer staff – bring your office manager or secretary for $125 ($150 after August 31, so hurry register now). Bring your law clerk for just $50!
I’ll see you there!