You’re thinking about buying a new iPad, iPhone, Android phone or tablet but what should you do with the old one? Toss it out?Recycle it? Sell it? Or put it to good use?
Getting rid of an old phone or tablet (not to mention ALL THAT DATA) can be quite overwhelming! However, it may not be as hard as it may seem! Discover a few simple resources and tips below to help make the switch an easier one:
Old iPhones, iPads, iPods, OH MY!
- RECYCLE: Depending on your iPad, iPod, or iPhones' make/model/year, Apple offers a program called Apple Renew to allow users to recycle any Apple device at any Apple store and online. After you follow the proper steps to submit your device to the program, Apple takes it, recycles it, and/or repurposes it to be used again. Note that they also recycle Mac Desktops, Notebooks, or PCs as well. Check out this link to see if your device qualifies for the Apple Renew program.
- REPURPOSE: If you are not quite ready to recycle your device, then check out these links for some cool ideas on how you can repurpose your iDevice around the house, office, or car:
- MacWorld’s8 cool things you can do with your iPhone or iPad
- ZDNet'sHow to Love Your Old iPad Again
- LifeWire'sUses for a 1st Generation iPad
- The Wall Street Journal's"Give Old iPhones and iPads a New Lease on Life"
- Wired'sWhat to Do With Your Old iPhone
- LifeHacker'sTop 10 Ways to Repurpose Your Old iPod
Old Android phones, tablets, etc.
- SELLING: Visit Lifewire's website regarding The Best Apps for Selling Your Old Android Devices
- REPURPOSE: Check out these links for some cool ideas on how to easily repurpose it:
- DISPOSAL: If you're just thinking about disposing of your device for safekeeping or altogether, (or even if you are thinking about recycling that old device), review these safe disposal tips from Get Safe Online.
- Also, check out these great tips and additional resources from the American Bar Association Law Practice Division's Legal Technology Resource Center on How to Dispose of Computer Equipment.
Do you have a question about this topic? Email email@example.com.